PTSD from Thunderstorms and Lightning in Miami
Thunder and lightning can cause more than storm damage to your home or business.
PTSD and Thunderstorms & Lightning in Miami
Almost 7% of people in the U.S. have suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
People who have PTSD may experience panic during thunderstorms. Thunderstorms and lightning can set off a person’s alarm bells.
SERVPRO of North Miami offers these guides to Coping with PTSD During Storms:
The best strategy is to be prepared.
- Take care of your emotional health. See a therapist. Learn relaxation exercises. When you feel anxious, you can relax yourself
- Know when a thunderstorm is likely. Plan what you will do during a thunderstorm
- Take care of your physical health. Eat a healthy diet. Get enough sleep. Do not rely on alcohol or other drugs. Do not smoke or chew tobacco
During a Thunderstorm in Miami
- Slow down your breathing
- Look around. Notice where you are. Notice that you are in a safe place
- Distract yourself from the storm. Wear headphones and listen to music. Sit in a pop-up tent
- Talk with someone you trust
Water Damage and Flood Insurance in Miami Florida
Water Damage & Insurance in Miami:
Most insurance rates vary by company. Rules for insurance vary by state. Flood insurance is an exception.
Most property insurance does not cover flood damage.
Some homeowners’ policies will cover water damage if the damage comes from:
- sewer or drain backup
- sudden & accidental damage from plumbing, heating systems, or air conditioning
The policy might also cover mold remediation, but not if a flood caused the problem.
How to get flood insurance in Miami:
- Check whether your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). You can still get flood insurance if you live in a low-risk area. The insurance will cost less if you live in a low-risk area.
- Find an insurance agent in Miami. The NFIP is the only flood-insurance provider, but the government does not sell it. Buy the insurance through an insurance agent. The NFIP sets the rates.
- If your insurance agent doesn’t know about the NFIP, call the help center at 1-800-427-4661
Storm Damage and Mold in Surfside
Mold grows out of tiny spores. Spores are tough enough to survive indoors or outdoors in harsh conditions. Spores can survive for years. Scientists have found ancient mold spores that could grow into mold.
Standing water and moisture can lead to mold growing in your home or office. Mold does not need visible water to grow. Humidity inside the business is enough. Small amounts of water vapor can help mold grow.
SERVPRO of North Miami knows that storm or flood damage can allow the mold spores to open up. Any dampness can lead to mold.
SERVPRO of North Miami can remediate mold that grows on:
- Crawl spaces
- Anywhere in your home or business
To treat mold correctly, it is critically important to first stop the source of moisture. SERVPRO of North Miami can clean and repair the damage caused by mold in your home or business. More important, SERVPRO of North Miami has a specialty in mold remediation.
The 1st 24-Hours of Water Damage Is Critical For Your Miami Home or Office
You know and we know that, after a flood sweeps over your property, there isn’t a lot of time to think about who you’ll call or what you’ll do about it. Often, within the first twenty-four hours, processes such as mold growth start happening and it becomes a problem that needs professional attention. You may think that you can handle these issues without the help of specialists; but that usually ends up putting off the inevitable—a phone call for help. When the timer starts on a catastrophe, these post disaster hours tick away quickly and, the next thing you know, the problems that could have been easily addressed have now become bigger issues that require your outside help to work that much harder. Before it gets that far, call SERVPRO of North Miami, and let us put our hi-tech equipment and knowledgeable personnel to work for you.
What To Do During a Miami Home Fire
Follow These Tips To Protect Your Miami Home
Fear can immobilize anyone—especially when they are unprepared for emergencies. When this happens, bad situations can become even worse. A fire can get out of control quickly; so time is of the essence. With that in mind, the best way to deal with this type of emergency is to be prepared in advance. Here are a few tips from the American Red Cross that could possibly save lives and money:
- Install fire alarms on every floor, inside and outside every room.
- Test smoke alarms once a year and change batteries when necessary.
- Create an escape plan with other occupants and test every six months.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT, AND CALL FOR HELP. DO NOT go back inside for any reason.
We at SERVPRO of North Miami want you to remember that fire is dangerous and can even be deadly. But, like anything else in life, if you are prepared and vigilant, there is nothing you need to fear.
Don't Let Storm Damage Catch You Off Guard in Bal Harbour
Flood waters can wreak havoc on your Bal Harbour Home
Sometimes what you don’t know can hurt you. Too often, after a storm has damaged our property, what we see initially doesn’t tell the whole story. From hidden foundation compromises to the beginning stages of mold growth under a tub, costs can mount quickly and, before you know it, you’re in the middle of a spending spree that isn’t recreational. When the waters go down, and the damage becomes visible, often we are overwhelmed with the stresses associated with insurance claims and subcontractor costs and errors. It doesn’t take a psychic to see that you need relief. If or when this happens to you and/or yours, call SERVPRO of North Miami and, in a short amount of time, a crew of professional cleanup and restoration personnel will quickly assess the damage and start the process of making your disaster look “Like it never even happened."
Mold Remediation And The EPA In Miami
Does Your North Miami Beach Home Have Mold?
SERVPRO of North Miami wants to help educate our community about: Mold in Drywall
Even a tiny bit of moisture can lead to mold growing in drywall.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ruled that only licensed professionals can clean any surface that has more than 10 square feet of mold. The EPA cannot know how you take care of your home or business, but you will need an inspection if you want to sell. You might not see all of the mold. The sooner you get rid of mold, the less damage it can cause.
SERVPRO of North Miami is licensed in mold remediation.
Mold remediation means getting rid of the mold spores that become mold as well as fixing the root cause of the dampness.
- can start growing on a damp surface within 24 hours
- can destroy the materials they grow on
- can spread and destroy adjacent materials
- grows from tiny spores that travel through the air
SERVPRO of North Miami can:
- remove drywall
- work with local mold inspectors
- disinfect certain surfaces
- find the source of moisture
- stop the moisture problem
Why Should You Use SERVPRO of North Miami?
SERVPRO of North Miami is Here to Help.
Who should I use?
Emergency situations usually call for quick reaction. In cases where a home or business structure in Sunny Isles is being compromised by unhealthy and/or unsafe conditions, we are the-fast-response you need to get relief. Chaotic situations can be handled or endured in an orderly fashion with professionals and the right tools applied. When you must choose your clean-up/restoration specialist, you are likely considering a few important things:
- Convenient location
- 24/7 availability
- Latest equipment
SERVPRO is the answer.
In a problematic and possibly chaotic situation, remember, we’re here to help. At SERVPRO of North Miami we are a local business, and we are homeowners and renters just like you so we understand the initial needs. Our promise to you is to provide the same quality and integrity based service that we, as your neighbor, may also need in the future. If you have any questions about services we offer or ways we can contribute to our community, please give us a call at 305-895-4880.
Prevent Fire Damage in Bal Harbour
"An Ounce Of Prevention Is Worth A Pound Of Cure"
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that a small flame can turn into a major fire in just 30 seconds. Flames and smoke can fill your house or office in just a few minutes. SERVPRO of North Miami will help you recover from fire damage. We hope you never need that kind of help.
The best fire control is fire prevention.
SERVPRO of North Miami reminds you that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and we offer these Tips for Fire Prevention: Overview
- Items that can catch fire include: dish towels, oven mitts, paper, curtains, wooden spoons, decorations
- Heat sources include: light bulbs, fireplaces, stove tops, furnaces, candles, or electric heaters.
- Keep items that can catch fire at least 3 feet away from heat sources
- Keep kids at least 3 feet away from heat sources
- Turn off heat sources when you leave the home or go to bed
- Never use the oven as a heater
- Have the fireplace chimney inspected & cleaned once a year
SERVPRO of North Miami suggests that you keep one or more fire extinguishers available.
Remember fire is fast. If there is a fire, leave and bring everyone with you. Call 9-1-1 from outside the home or office.
Water Damage Tips For Bal Harbour Homes And Businesses
Protect Yourself From Water Damage In Bal Harbour
If your home or business in Bal Harbour has water damage, you can do some things before help arrives.
Make sure that the building or home is safe.
SERVPRO of North Miami Wants You to Remember:
- Waterlogged materials are very heavy
- Wet surfaces are slippery
- Make sure that electrical power is off before you handle devices
- Make sure you are standing on dry area before you turn on electric power
SERVPRO of North Miami suggests that you:
- Remove excess water with mops and/or towels
- Wipe water from wood furniture or other items
- Remove wet cushions. Prop them upright to dry
- Hang up rugs to dry
- Place foil or blocks between furniture and wet carpeting
- Turn on dehumidifiers or air-conditioning if it is safe
- Move colored items from wet carpeting
- Move artwork to a safe, dry place
- Move loose items from the floor or counters
- Start drying items ASAP
- Remember that mold starts growing within 24 hours
- Stay away from rooms that have sagging ceilings